Blackpool street photography workshop: a full-day Masterclass
Join our Blackpool street photography workshop for a taste of the great (and not so great) British seaside. Blackpool . . . what can we say? Shoot this colourful, vibrant and quirky town in the raw: the stags, the hens, the piers, the fortune tellers, the fairgrounds, the trams, the donkeys, the ice-creams, the beach beauties – Blackpool has it all in spades (and buckets). Join us to learn some invaluable tricks of the trade from a highly experienced photojournalist. You’ll get plenty of one-to-one coaching on this intensive street photography workshop, learning to shoot quickly, unobtrusively and producing distinctive images with style and wit.
This is not a highly technical workshop where we endlessly discuss gear and settings. You will, however, learn how to produce witty, individual and evocative images which reflect life on the street in the 21st century.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Appreciation of the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Learn a ‘standard set’ of camera settings that will allow you to shoot quickly and accurately in most environments.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- Promoting and finding audiences for your work.
- Learn a photojournalists’ workflow and post-production techniques.
- We meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take in some great street photography ‘hot spots’ in and around the seafront and town centre.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network on Facebook and Flickr.
Your course tutor for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer. Prior setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the NUJ (National Union of Journalists) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching.