A London at Christmas street photography workshop: lights, consumption and retail madness!
London takes on a frenetic pace during the weeks leading up to Christmas, with the street alive with shoppers and party-goers. This is a ‘project-based’ workshop where we will aim to produce a cohesive set of images which tell the story of ‘Christmas in London’.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene; understand the components of a great street image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Get to grips with the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera to enable quick, spontaneous and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your shooting and make you a more effective street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- React positively if people are challenging or offended; develop your ‘back story’.
- Promoting and finding audiences for your work.
- Learn the photojournalists’ workflow and post-production techniques.
- We meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take in some great street photography ‘hot spots’ which may include Soho, Mayfair, Chelsea and Knightsbridge.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out (there is no postage cost and the book will be brought to the workshop for you to collect).