Individual Venice photography workshop – discover the ‘authentic Venice’ over a full day
Why a Venice photography workshop? An ancient and charismatic city? A wealth of street shooting opportunity? Beautiful surroundings? Terrific light? Great places to eat and drink? Plenty for your non-photographic partner to enjoy? What’s not to like? (to discover more about why I love photography Venice so much, please read my blog article).
This FULL DAY WORKSHOP will take place during ‘Carnevale’, a uniquely Venetian event. It’s a spectacular celebration suspended between past and present with a traditional local allure featuring many organised and fringe events and is a true feast for the photographer.
Our Venice photography workshops will take you off the beaten track, away from the tourists and exploring the charismatic and photogenic ‘hidden’ Venice. Your workshop will include elements of street, travel and documentary photography, according to your individual needs and interests. We explore techniques for exposure, focusing and composition; learning how to spot an opportunity for a unique picture; building your confidence as a street photographer; story telling; digital workflow; sharing or marketing your work. Most of all, you will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing some structured shooting you will receive lots of individual coaching from your coach, mentor and tutor, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
This workshop is for individuals and up to two family / friends. Further people can be added at a cost of £75 per person.
A tailored itinerary
Your workshop will be tailored to your specific interests and learning requirements and usually contains elements of street, travel, documentary and urban landscape photography. It is likely to include the following core elements:
- Coaching on how to develop your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn to become a visual story-teller by building strong narrative into your images.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street or travel image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Get to grips with the technical aspects of street and travel photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Discover how a pro street photographer sets up his camera to enable fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how zone focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of photographing in public places.
- Shooting at an iconic Venice location at either dawn or dusk.
Your coach & mentor
You will be working with Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Brian runs many workshops in Venice and knows the city well. He teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association). Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His first book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, a comprehensive street photography manual, has become an international best-seller; the book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.
You will need to organise your own accommodation and flights; accommodation is plentiful (but will be increasingly in short supply leading up to Carnevale) and budget airlines fly to Venice from most UK airports. It is also worth checking out flights to Treviso, a short bus ride from Venice, which often offers cheaper flights. We usually rent an apartment with AirBnB, although there are lots of hotels available via the likes of booking.com and Expedia.