Lisbon Street Photography Workshop!
Learn travel & street photography with us in in the delightfully photogenic city of Lisbon. With its squares, cafes, alleys, waterfront and ancient streets, Lisbon is a photographer’s paradise. Join our small group (maximum of 6) on this Lisbon street photography workshop to explore the city’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist.
This workshop blends street photography with elements of travel photography. It is not a highly technical workshop where we endlessly discuss gear and settings. You will, however, learn how to produce striking images which reflect real life in this vibrant and colourful city.
This full day workshop costs £249. You will need to organise your own accommodation and flights; accommodation is relatively cheap and plentiful and budget airlines fly to Lisbon from most UK airports.
What level is this?
This is for photographers who are perhaps new to street photography or who want to fine-tune their skills. You should have a reasonable knowledge of basic photographic principles such as exposure and focusing. However, as the group is so small, there’s plenty of opportunity for individual coaching throughout the day.
What you will learn:
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of travel and street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at 0930hrsin a lovely cafe for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session. Expect to walk around 6-8km on this workshop.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 1700hrs with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network on Facebook.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe and also the founder of Street2020, a UK-based street photography collective.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press (2016) and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.