This Lisbon photography workshop will combine elements of street and travel photography, with an emphasis on producing creative images which reflect real life in this charming and eccentric city. You will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing lots of structured shooting and you will receive coaching, mentoring and constant feedback from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
Lisbon is a city with terrific light, gorgeous weather and an unending supply of photo opportunities. In a small group (maximum of 6 participants), we will explore the city’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist. We will photograph the old and the new, the shiny and the grimy, the river and the roads, spending time in charismatic areas such as Alfama, Mouraria and Bairro Alto. You will learn how to . . .
- Develop your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Use creative techniques for exposure, focus and composition.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Spot opportunities in everyday scenes.
- Shoot striking abstracts.
- Understand and work with great light.
- Build your confidence as a street photographer.
- Tell the story of your travels through striking images.
This 2-day workshop costs £565. We find that most people prefer to organise their own accommodation and flights; accommodation is good value and plentiful (we always use AirBnB) and budget airlines fly to Lisbon from most UK airports (we usually use TAP, the Portuguese national airline). Please let us know if you need any advice regarding your arrangements – we’re happy to help. You are advised to take out travel insurance prior to your trip.
What level is this?
This is an intermediate level workshop, ideal for those with a reasonable knowledge of basic photographic principles such as exposure and focusing. However, as the group is so small, there’s plenty of opportunity for individual coaching throughout the day.
Day 1 (Saturday)
- We meet at 0930hrs in a cafe for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around 1.5 hours tuition) before setting off into the city.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from Brian Lloyd Duckett a full-time working professional street and documentary photographer.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a short lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 1730hrs with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
Optional: we will organise an informal supper in a nice Portuguese restaurant for those who would like to join us (cost not included).
Day 2 (Sunday)
- We will have a very early start (optional) to shoot the lovely Lisbon sunrise (weather permitting).
- A visit to the Belem area to shoot some modern architecture and urban landscape scenes around the contemporary (a short tram ride away).
- There will be an assignment to complete during this second day.
- We will finish the weekend with a debrief and Q&A session over a farewell drink, aiming to finish between 5-6pm.
After the workshop
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course; you will also (if you wish) be able to share your work with your workshop peer group, gaining wider critique.
- After the course, you will be encouraged to keep in touch through our online street photography alumni network.
- Two full day’s tuition with Brian Lloyd Duckett.
- Follow-up and critique after the workshop.
- You will need to pay for your own drinks, refreshments and any public transport costs during the day.
Your Course Leader
Your course leader for the weekend is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known documentary photographer and professional street photographer. Brian runs many workshops in Lisbon and knows the city well. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, he worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press (2016) and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.