Liverpool street photography workshop: a full-day Masterclass
Join a professional street photographer in Liverpool city centre – the people, the bars, the shops, the waterfront, the work, the play . . . our small workshop group (maximum 6 participants) will explore the city’s rich character and photographic ‘hot spots’ and you will learn some invaluable techniques and tricks of the trade from a highly experienced photojournalist. You’ll get plenty of one-to-one coaching on this Liverpool street photography workshop, learning to shoot quickly, unobtrusively and producing distinctive images with style and wit.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Understand some key principles of architectural photography.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take us through some of the city’s street photography hotspots, covering around 6-8km on foot.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni networks.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and porofessional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe and also the founder of Street2020, a UK-based street photography collective.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.