Learn street photography with a professional street photographer
Take your street photography to a whole new level with us in Central London. Our workshops are not ‘photo walks’ – they are an immersive, intensive learning experience, designed to elevate your street photography and to help you produce consistently rewarding work. We will focus on the art of street photography, whilst learning some techniques which will help set your work apart from the ‘ordinary’ street photography we see so much of.
Join our small group (max 6) on this London street photography workshop to explore some of London’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty street images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist. After a comprehensive briefing, discussion and tuition session over coffee, we will take to the streets for some structured shooting with plenty of individual coaching throughout the day. Our plan is to start at the Barbican, then head west, finishing in Soho.
What level is this workshop?
This is for people who are familiar with their camera and have a grasp of the basic exposure settings. You may be new to the genre of street photography or you may be an experienced shooter who wants to refine and improve his/her technique.
What kit should you bring?
Any camera will be fine, whether it’s a compact, bridge, mirrorless, CSC or DSLR. We also warmly welcome people who prefer to shoot on film. You will ideally have a prime or zoom lens which has a focal length of around 28 or 35mm (full-frame) or around 18 or 24mm (crop sensor). You won’t need a flash or tripod for this workshop.
What you will learn:
- Develop a street photographer’s ‘eye’ and learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Appreciate the aesthetics of street photography.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Practice different types of street photography and discover your preferred style of shooting.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our route will take us from Barbican, from where we’ll head west, finishing in Soho.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session. Expect to walk around 6-8km on this workshop.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network.
Course Leader: Brian Lloyd Duckett
Brian is a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE. Brian is currently working on his next book, Advanced Street Photography Techniques.