Learn street photography with a professional street photographer
Learn street photography with us in London. Our workshops are not ‘photo walks’ – they are an immersive, intensive learning experience, designed to elevate your street photography to a new level.
This workshop will start on the South Bank, moving east towards the City. We’ll explore the alleyways, the architecture and the characters. Join our small group (max 6) on this London street photography workshop to explore the area’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty street images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist. After around an hour-and-a-half’s tuition and discussion, we will take to the streets for some structured shooting with lots of individual coaching throughout the day.
This is not a highly technical workshop where we endlessly discuss gear and settings. You will, however, learn how to produce witty, individual and evocative images which reflect life on the street in the 21st century.
What you will learn:
- Develop a street photographer’s ‘eye’ and learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Appreciate the aesthetics of street photography.
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a street photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
- Learn how to react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- We meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around an hour and a half’s tuition) before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session. Expect to walk around 6-8km on this workshop.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe and also the founder of Street2020, a UK-based street photography collective.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out.