Prague Street Photography Workshop
With a colourful history and fairy-tale architecture, Prague has been a magnet for photographers since the invention of the camera. Join our small group (maximum of 6) on this Prague street photography workshop to explore the city’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist.
The city still has that ‘post-Communist era’ feel about it – and has vibrant and interesting street life. We will explore the famous Old Town, getting off the tourist routes and digging deep into the dark, cobbled back streets; we’ll explore the trendy Zizkov district and the stylish Vinohrady area.
The weekend course blends elements of street, travel and documentary photography. It is not a highly technical workshop where we endlessly discuss gear and settings. You will, however, learn how to produce striking images which reflect real life in this vibrant and colourful city.
This 2-day Prague street photography workshop costs £385. You will need to organise your own accommodation and flights; accommodation is relatively cheap and plentiful and budget airlines fly to Prague from most UK airports. We know the city well: please ask us if you would like advice about where to stay.
What you will learn
- Understand the importance of developing your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn to become a visual story-teller by building strong narrative into your images.
- Stand out from the crowd by learning to document your travels using a range of creative techniques.
- Understand the key components of great street and travel image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of travel and street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how a professional street photographer sets up his camera for fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how manual focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
Friday Evening (optional)
We will meet for a drink and a light informal supper to get to know each other. Costs not included but it woin’t be an expensive night!
Day 1 (Saturday)
- We meet at 0930hrs in a Czech cafe for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around 1.5 hours tuition) before setting off into the city.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from Brian Lloyd Duckett a full-time working professional street and documentary photographer.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a short lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 1730hrs with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
Optional: we will organise an informal supper in a traditional Czech restaurant for those who would like to join us (cost not included).
Day 2 (Sunday)
- We will have a very early start (optional) to shoot the sunrise (weather permitting).
- There will be an assignment to complete during this second day.
- We will finish the weekend with a debrief and Q&A session over a farewell drink, aiming to finish between 5-6pm.
After the workshop
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course; you will also (if you wish) be able to share your work with your workshop peer group, gaining wider critique.
- After the course, you will be encouraged to keep in touch through our online alumni network.
What level is this?
This is an intermediate level street photography workshop, ideal for those with a reasonable knowledge of basic photographic principles such as exposure and focusing. However, as the group is so small, there’s plenty of opportunity for individual coaching throughout the weekend.
- A full 2 days’ tuition with Brian Lloyd Duckett (n a small group of no more than six).
- Follow-up and critique after the workshop.
- We may use the Prague tram system during the weekend; tickets will be provided for you.
- You will need to pay for your own food and drinks drinks during the day.
You will need to organise your own accommodation and flights; accommodation is plentiful and relatively cheap. A number of budget airlines fly to Prague from most UK airports. We usually rent an apartment with AirBnB, although there are lots of good value hotels available via the likes of booking.com and Expedia.
The cost of living in Prague is low and it is possible to enjoy a good meal in a traditional Czech restaurant for less than £10 with wine or beer.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association). He has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His first book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, a comprehensive street photography manual, has become an international best-seller; the book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.