Venice photography workshops – discover the ‘authentic Venice’ over 3 full days
Why a Venice photography workshop? An ancient and charismatic city? A wealth of street shooting opportunity? Beautiful surroundings? Terrific light? Great places to eat and drink? Plenty for your non-photographic partner to enjoy? What’s not to like?
Our Venice photography workshops will take you off the beaten track, away from the tourists and exploring the charismatic and photogenic ‘hidden’ Venice. Your workshop will include elements of street, travel and documentary photography, according to your individual needs and interests. We explore techniques for exposure, focusing and composition; learning how to spot an opportunity for a unique picture; building your confidence as a street photographer; story telling; digital workflow; sharing or marketing your work. Most of all, you will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing some structured shooting you will receive lots of individual coaching from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
A tailored itinerary
Your workshop will be tailored to your specific interests and learning requirements but is likely to include the following core elements:
- Coaching on how to develop your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street or travel image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Get to grips with the technical aspects of street and travel photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Discover how a pro street photographer sets up his camera to enable fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how zone focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of photographing in public places.
- Shooting at an iconic Venice location at either dawn or dusk.
- Long exposure photography using ND filters.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Brian runs many workshops in Venice and knows the city well. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, he worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe and based in Venice.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press (2016) and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can buy a copy HERE.