INTERMEDIATE LEVEL STREET PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
Every form of photography is all about light – and that includes street photography. In this workshop we will explore ways of using light – good or bad – to our advantage. We will work at indoor and outdoor locations, learning how to make the most of whatever lighting conditions we are faced with. This workshop is centered around two assignments – one in the morning session and one in the afternoon.
What you will learn:
- How to identify good light and how to ‘see’ perfect lighting conditions.
- Playing the waiting game; making good light work for you.
- How to shoot indoors; making the most of low light situations.
- The role of the silhouette in street photography.
- Contre jour street photography (shooting directly into the light).
- How to intensify colours in strong light.
- Working with shadows.
- Composing for the light.
- Shooting tips for bad weather.
- We will meet at 10am for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing before setting off onto the streets.
- Our itinerary will take us to photo-rich locations, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned during the morning session. Expect to walk around 5km on this workshop.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from a full-time working professional photojournalist.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 4.30pm with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our alumni network on Facebook.
Your course leader for this street photography workshop is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and porofessional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.