Street Photography at Night
Join us in Soho & Chinatown for a night to remember!
STREET PHOTOGRAPHY AT NIGHT WORKSHOP
Soho has long been associated with street photography in the hours of darkness. The narrow streets, the alleyways, the pubs & restaurants, the characters, the revellers, the neon lights – it all adds up to a recipe for some distinctive, stylised work. On this street photography at night workshop, we’ll split our time between Soho and Chinatown, working on both abstract and documentary-style images.
With a maximum of 6 participants, this workshop is designed to introduce you to street photography at night. It will combine structured shooting with coaching from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett, and you’ll learn some of the essential techniques techniques and creative approaches to shooting after dark.
What you will learn
- Appreciate the aesthetics of and various approaches to after-dark street photography.
- Guidance on developing your own style as a street photographer and on how to conceive and undertake projects.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Learn how to make the most of ambient light sources.
- Practice different types of night shooting and discover your preferred style of street photography.
- Practice conquering your fear of photographing strangers.
- Learn how to work in the shadows, being invisible and shooting your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of night-time street photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Optimise your camera settings for shooting on the streets at night.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public.
- We meet at 6pm for introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing over a quick drink in Soho (around 30 minutes).
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, mainly around Soho and Chinatown.
- Our small group sizes allow participants to receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from the course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett, a professional street photographer and photojournalist.
- We will finish the workshop at around 10pm with debrief and a Q&A session in a Soho pub.
- Individual critique for photos taken on the evening is available during the week following the course.
- After the course, participants will be encouraged to keep in touch through our Alumni network.
After the workshop
During the week following the workshop you’ll receive a detailed follow-up note, including reading references and lots of other useful resources. You’ll also be invited to join our online Alumni network for critique, discussion and opportunities to meet up with like-minded street photographers for shooting days.
Critique is an important part of the learning process and you will be invited to submit your images for critique, either privately or via the Alumni forum.
Your Course Leader: Brian Lloyd Duckett
Brian is a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, Brian has worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London and many other UK cities. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists).
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE. Brian is currently working on his next book which outlines 52 street photography projects.
What level is this workshop?
This is an intermediate level workshop; you should have a grasp of the basics of street photography and be familiar with your camera.
What kit do you need?
Any camera will be fine, whether it’s a compact, bridge, mirrorless, CSC or DSLR. We also warmly welcome people who prefer to shoot on film. Prime lenses are ideal (though a zoom will be fine) – ideally covering the focal range 35 to 85mm (full-frame equivalent). Fast aperture lenses are ideal. You won’t need a flash or tripod for this workshop.
I was apprehensive at first but Brian immediately put the group at ease and we got stuck into shooting with some great tuition and mentoring. Soho is such a brilliant location for a workshop like this!Paul Seabrook
**FULLY BOOKED** Street photography in Soho by Night: Friday 25 January 2019£95.00
**FULLY BOOKED** Street photography in Soho by Night: Friday 8 February 2019£95.00
Street photography in Soho by Night: Friday 8 March 2019£95.00
Street photography night shooting workshop: Friday 22 March 2019£95.00
Street photography night shooting workshop: Sunday 10 February 2019£95.00