Political unrest often brings interesting opportunities for documentary photographers. So why not join us in the ‘Westminster bubble’ for this unique documentary photography workshop?
March 29th could be an historic day for the UK, and London is already alive with political shenanigans. Working with an experienced documentary photographer, you will develop a picture-led news feature based on the theme of ‘Brexit’. Based principally in and around Westminster, we will join the frenzy of politicians, the media and protesters in what is undoubtedly one of the most exciting periods for current affairs in many years.
We will use the theme of ‘Brexit’ to construct a photo-documentary project, telling the story of the event in 12-18 pictures. You’ll learn how to develop the headline ‘splash’ image, backed up with a selection of images representing the ‘bigger picture’, including some ‘B-roll’ (general views) to support the story.
Working in a small group (maximum 6 participants), you will receive plenty of individual coaching and hands-on attention from a highly experienced photojournalist. This will be a fast-paced, challenging and inspiring day – ideal for street photographers and aspiring documentary photographers.
This will be a longer workshop day than usual, with a 9am start and an ‘official’ finish time of 6pm but we may carry on shooting if things hot up. The day will start with a thorough briefing and ‘tutorial’ session, where we will cover key topics such as:
- How to approach a major ‘hard news’ event; shooting to a tight editorial brief
- How to develop a cohesive set of images which tell the story of an historic political event
- Finding strong news angles; what picture editors look for
- Principles of photojournalism
- The role of stock photography
- Story-telling; shooting and sequencing a news feature
- Legal issues; your rights; dealing with the police; public vs private property
- Technical considerations
- Best-practice captioning & metadata
- Finding markets for your work
- Safety briefing
I’m running these documentary photography workshops on Thursday 28th and Friday 29th March. The cost is £165 and you can book via the following links: Documentary photography workshop – 28 March 2019 or Documentary photography workshop – 29 March 2019