Venice Photography Workshops
Discover the less visited, hidden Venice on a private workshop (one to four people)
Venice photography workshops – discover the true spirit of Venice over 2 or 3 days
Come on one of our Venice photography workshops to experience this ancient, unique and charismatic photographers’ paradise. Venice provides a wealth of photographic opportunities for travel and street photographers in stunningly beautiful surroundings which are greatly enhanced by the ever changing light.
You can choose a workshop of either two or three days and we will explore interesting, fascinating and photogenic areas which are away from the usual tourist hot-spots.
Our Venice photography workshops include elements of street, travel and documentary photography; we work on techniques for exposure, focusing and composition; learn how to spot an opportunity for a unique picture; discover how work with great light and become a master of it; build your confidence as a street photographer; perfect your digital workflow. Most of all, you will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing lots of structured shooting and you will receive coaching, mentoring and constant feedback from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
Your workshop will be immersive, inspiring and great fun. The experience will challenge you, stretch you and will elevate your photography.
For individuals and up to three additional guests, this is a bespoke workshop over two or three full days. Your workshop will be tailored to your specific interests and learning objectives but is likely to include the following core elements:
- Coaching on how to develop your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’.
- Learn how to spot a photo opportunity in an every day street scene.
- Understand the components of a great street or travel image.
- Understand how to use lighting conditions to your advantage.
- Work with shadows, silhouettes and ever-changing light.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers.
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Get to grips with the technical aspects of street and travel photography: equipment, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Discover how a pro street photographer sets up his camera to enable fast and accurate shooting.
- Learn how zone focusing can speed up your work and make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Understand some of the key legal and ethical aspects of photographing in public places.
- Shooting at an iconic Venice location at either dawn or dusk.
- Long exposure photography using ND filters.
These workshops can be organised for individuals, small groups of family / friends.
We will be running ‘open group’ workshops throughout 2018 for a maximum of six participants. These are one or two day workshops, broadly following the above outline. The first of these is a one day workshop (£275) during the Venice Carnevale (Carnival) in February – please click HERE for details and a booking form.
Your course leader for the day is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known London photographer and professional street photographer. Brian runs many workshops in Venice and knows the city well. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, he worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association), the AOP (Association of Photographers) and the IFJ (International Federation of Journalists). He is a member of #Awakening, a collective of documentary photographers across Europe.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His latest book ‘Mastering Street Photography’, is published by Ammonite Press (2016) and is a comprehensive street photography manual. The book is the perfect accompaniment to the workshop and you will be offered the opportunity to purchase a signed copy when you check-out. If you don’t book a workshop place, you can still buy a copy HERE.
- The Venice photography workshop costs £1,995 for 2 days / £2,495 for 3 days for up to four people, excluding flights and accommodation.
- Food, drinks and vaporetto (water bus) tickets are not included.
How to book
- Please click HERE for the 2-day private Venice photography workshop
- Please click HERE for the 3-day private Venice photography workshop
- Please click HERE for the Venice Carnival photography 1-day workshop (group) in February 2018 (£275)
- Please click HERE for the Venice Carnival one-to-one photography workshop in February 2018 (SPECIAL OFFER – £995)
- We also run 4-day workshops for individuals and small private groups- please ask for details.
I did the Streetsnappers Venice photography workshop and it was a brilliant 3 days with Brian. I regularly travel the world with work and I wanted to up my game with my street and travel photography.
Brian took me deep into the real Venice where the locals live. There was a great photo opportunity round every corner and I came home with a set of pictures I never thought I would be capable of taking. We did sunsets, sunrises and everything in between. As well as the main island we visited Murano, Guidecca and San Pietro (all fantastic for this kind of photography).
I’m a Leica user and my partner had a Fuji and Brian’s knowledge of both systems really shone through in the help and support he was able to give. At the end of it I felt like a pro travel photographer! He gave us both his time and was very thoughtful in planning a fantastic itinerary. He obviously knows Venice very well and it was like spending time with a local.
The course really delivered for both of us and we’ll do another next year. Thank you Brian and Streetsnappers!!Jenny M
I arranged a couple of days in Venice with Brian at relatively short notice and the experience was excellent. Brian’s approach is knowledgeable, calm and quietly influential, adapting his style to your experience and what you want to get out of the time he spends with you. He’s quick to point out interesting possibilities and the importance of patience when a location has both interest and potential.
Importantly, if you’re spending time on a one-to-one basis, Brian is good at being in tune with you – whether chatting about photography and life, or walking along quietly identifying photo opportunities.
Reflecting afterwards I recognised that I learnt more than I realised. Not necessarily big learning points but a number of small things that when put together I know will make me a better street photographer. Would I book more sessions with Brian? Absolutely – I recommend him and StreetSnappers without hesitation.Dr Neil G
Venice photography workshops
Please contact us to discuss your preferred dates
A combination of street and travel photography
Our tuition is based on street photography principles and techniques, helping you develop a documentary style to record your travels in a unique way. Let your pictures tell the story of your travels!
Our travel and street photography workshops in European cities allow you to experience another side of the city whilst learning some new techniques and tricks of the trade from a professional
Suitable for all levels
No matter what your level of experience as a photographer - whether complete beginner or highly skilled - we will tailor the day to meet your precise needs
Get off the beaten track
We will dig deep into the heart of Lisbon and into the areas where the locals live, work and play
Whether it's just you or a small group of family or friends, you will receive lots of individual, hands-on attention from an expert
We will organise workshop itineraries at your convenience and can collect you from any centrally located hotel. Just bring your camera and some comfortable shoes!