This Lisbon photography workshop will combine elements of street and travel photography, with an emphasis on producing creative images which reflect real life in this charming and eccentric city. You will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing lots of structured shooting and you will receive coaching, mentoring and constant feedback from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
Lisbon is a city with terrific light, gorgeous weather and an unending supply of photo opportunities. In a small group (maximum of 6 participants), we will explore the city’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist. We will photograph the old and the new, the shiny and the grimy, the river and the roads, spending time in charismatic areas such as Alfama, Mouraria and Bairro Alto. You will learn how to . . .
- Develop your own style as a photographer and learn how to conceive and undertake projects
- Find your unique photographic ‘voice’ and discover an approach that works for you
- Use creative techniques for exposure, focus and composition
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers and shoot the streets in a confident, relaxed style
- Spot opportunities in everyday scenes
- Shoot striking abstracts
- Understand and work with great light
- Build your confidence as a street photographer
- Tell the story of your travels through striking images
On the Friday evening before the workshop, we will meet for a relaxed, informal meal where we get to know each other and understand each others’ objectives. This is entirely optional (food & drinks not included).
This 2-day workshop costs £545. We find that most people prefer to organise their own accommodation and flights; accommodation is good value and plentiful (we always use AirBnB) and budget airlines fly to Lisbon from most UK airports (we usually use TAP, the Portuguese national airline). Please let us know if you need any advice regarding your arrangements – we’re happy to help. You are advised to take out travel insurance prior to your trip.
What level is this?
This is an intermediate level workshop, ideal for those with a reasonable knowledge of basic photographic principles such as exposure and focusing. However, as the group is so small, there’s plenty of opportunity for individual coaching throughout the weekend.
- Two full day’s tuition with Brian Lloyd Duckett.
- Follow-up and critique after the workshop.
- You will need to pay for your own drinks, refreshments and any public transport costs during the weekend.
Your Course Leader
Your course leader for the weekend is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a documentary photographer and professional street photographer. Brian runs many workshops in Lisbon and knows the city well. Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, he worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London. Brian teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association).
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and provides lots of individual, hands-on coaching during the weekend. He is the author of two best-selling street photography books: book ‘Mastering Street Photography’ and ’52 Assignments: Street Photography, both published by Ammonite Press.