The Venice street photography workshop will combine elements of street, documentary and travel photography, with an emphasis on producing creative images which reflect real life in this wonderful city. You will discover new ways of telling the story of your travels through great images. We will be doing lots of structured shooting and you will receive coaching, mentoring and constant feedback from your course leader, Brian Lloyd Duckett.
PLEASE NOTE: this is an intermediate level workshop, where we will focus on more advanced techniques for lighting, composition and story-telling. To ensure that all participants are at a similar level, it is recommended that you have previously attended a StreetSnappers workshop.
We will explore the ‘less trodden’ Venice, taking in the sights and sounds of this most charismatic of cities well off the beaten track. In a small group (maximum of 6 participants), you will discover the city’s photographic ‘hot spots’ and learn how to shoot striking, compelling and witty images with a professional street photographer and photojournalist (also an Official Fujifilm X-Photographer). We will aim to visit each of the sestiere (districts) of the city, each of which has a distinctive feel and its own special photo opportunities. You will learn how to . . .
- Develop your own style as a photographer and how to conceive and undertake ‘projects’
- Use creative techniques for exposure, focus and composition
- Become invisible and shoot your environment quietly and unobtrusively
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers
- Spot opportunities in everyday scenes; find beauty in the mundane
- Shoot striking abstracts
- Understand and work with great light
- Build your confidence as a street photographer
- Tell the story of your travels through striking images
This 2-day workshop costs £625. We find that most people prefer to organise their own accommodation and flights; accommodation is plentiful (we always use AirBnB) and budget airlines fly to Venice from most UK airports. Please let us know if you need any advice regarding your arrangements – we know the city very well and we’re happy to help. You are advised to take out travel insurance prior to your trip.
What level is this?
This is an intermediate level workshop, ideal for those with a reasonable knowledge of basic photographic principles such as exposure and focusing. However, as the group is so small, there’s plenty of opportunity for individual coaching throughout the day. It would help, though is not essential, if have completed a StreetSnappers workshop (UK or overseas) before the date of this workshop.
Friday Evening (optional)
We will meet for a drink and a light informal supper to get to know each other. Costs not included but it won’t be an expensive or late night!
Day 1 (Saturday)
- We meet at 0930hrs in a cafe overlooking the Grand Canal for coffee, introductions, tuition and a thorough briefing (around 1.5 hours tuition) before setting off into the city.
- Our itinerary will take us to some great street photography ‘hot spots’, where we will put into practice some of the principles learned in the morning session.
- Throughout the day, participants will receive a significant amount of one-to-one tuition and coaching from Brian Lloyd Duckett a full-time working professional street and documentary photographer.
- We’ll find somewhere quiet for a short lunch break, with a group discussion, at around 1pm, before hitting the streets again for the second structured photographic session.
- We will finish the formal part of the day at around 1730hrs with drinks, a thorough debrief and a further Q&A session.
Day 2 (Sunday)
- We will have a very early start (optional) to shoot the extraordinary Venice sunrise (weather permitting).
- There will be an assignment to complete during this second day.
- We will finish the weekend with a debrief and Q&A session over a farewell drink, aiming to finish between 5-6pm.
After the workshop
- Individual critique for photos taken on the day is available during the week following the course; you will also (if you wish) be able to share your work with your workshop peer group, gaining wider critique.
- After the course, you will be encouraged to keep in touch through the StreetSnappers Collective.
- Two full day’s tuition with Brian Lloyd Duckett.
- Follow-up and critique after the workshop.
- You will need to pay for your own drinks, refreshments and any public transport costs during the weekend.
Your Course Leader
Your course leader for the weekend is Brian Lloyd Duckett, a well-known documentary photographer and professional street photographer. Brian has run many workshops in Venice and knows the city well. He teaches as a Visiting Lecturer on photography degree courses and is a board member of the BPPA (British Press Photographers’ Association). Brian is an Official Fujifilm X-Photographer.
Prior to setting up a successful commercial and editorial photography business, he worked as a press and agency photographer on the streets on London.
Brian has a very relaxed yet informative teaching style and offers lots of individual, hands-on coaching. His two books ‘Mastering Street Photography’ and ’52 Assignments: Street Photography’ are published by Ammonite Press and are the perfect accompaniments to a workshop.