Full day group workshop (UK)
Join us for an immersive experience
Working with Brian Lloyd Duckett, a highly experienced course leader (a full-time professional street photographer and photojournalist) in a small group, this is a powerful and immersive learning experience. You will build an appreciation of the aesthetics of street photography which extends beyond random pictures of strangers walking down a street or of people sitting in a cafe.
Our street photography workshops are structured, informative and relaxed. They are sometimes provocative, usually challenging and always highly enjoyable; they will stretch your imagination, develop your skills and boost your confidence. Whilst we cover the technicalities (such as camera settings, light and composition), our main focus is on teaching you the essential skills to help you become an accomplished street photographer, conquering your fear of shooting on the streets, understanding what makes a strong image and helping your develop your own style and approach.
We pay as much attention to the art of street photography as we do the technique and it is this combination which makes our workshops different. There is a structured, tried and tested formula designed to make you a better street photographer.
Our workshops are focused on helping you . . .
- Develop a street photographer’s eye and learn how to ‘read the streets’, spotting photo opportunities in everyday street scenes.
- Understand the aesthetics and the art of street photography.
- Nurture your own photographic style and learn how to conceive and develop projects.
- Understand the components of a great street image.
- Conquer your fear of photographing strangers, shooting your environment quietly and unobtrusively.
- Learn the technical aspects of street photography: equipment, settings, composition, exposure, light and focus.
- Maximise the potential of your camera when photographing buildings and urban landscapes.
- Learn how manual (zone) focusing can make you more effective as a street photographer.
- Learn how to photograph safely in difficult situations or areas and how to interact effectively with the public, the police and other officials; react positively if people are questioning, challenging or offended.
- Understand the key legal and ethical aspects of street photography.
Is it for me?
This workshop is designed to give you a thorough grounding in street photography so you’ll have the confidence and the skills to produce great images on your own.
There are no strict requirements for joining this workshop but you will find it helpful if you have a basic grasp of your camera’s functions – aperture, shutter speed and ISO, for example.
You don’t need masses of gear – just one camera and lens is fine – anything from a Lomo to a Leica!
JOIN THE COLLECTIVE!
Once you have attended a workshop, you’ll get free membership of the StreetSnappers Street Photography Collective – click below for details: